Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I am becoming a driver in Shenzhen although I am an English-Chinese translator/Interpreter

Here is my experience in learning driving to get a driving license in Shenzhen, I am showing you how I passed the tests in detail.



I registered on the 20th of January in 2009, right before Chinese New Year holiday. Actually my agent, a driving school helped me for the register in the traffice police. There are many steps you need to follow, you can see the following link, put your ID or Serial Number on it http://www.stc.gov.cn/tois/Index.aspx.
Officially I took one day Theory Training in the school and got fingerprinted in the traffic police test office on 2009-02-11, the training involved questions mainly related to traffic regulations, driving knowledge and emergency response. Then the school helped me make the reservation to take the Theory Test. I passed it with 99 points, it was all done on computer. This is Part I.



Part II included Zhuangkao meaning Pole Test which tests your skill in reversing car without hitting the poles or running over the lines.
See the Pole Test route





I was totally monitored all by computer, no need examiner, only a guard around, and there was a big screen showing me my result. Firstly, I got used to the car and adjusted the car to the perfect spot to reverse without running over Line A, and adjusted the mirrors as well. Secondly, I put my finger over the little thing by Pole 1, then the system recognized me. Started it finally. Usually there are a few mistakes that will show on the screen if you make any mistake like, wrong route, hit pole, run over line, stop for over 2 seconds (allow once), ect. When I was about to finish the test, right before I drove back the initial place(finish line as well) from Park Spot B, I released clutch, the car reversed a little bit instead of going forward. But the screen told me that I stopped once which was allowed instead of wrong route which was rejected, then the screen showed me I passed it. Remember it is possible that the ground is not flat sometimes.

Part II also includes The 3 Test Item out of 9, 2 of them are necessary, they are Stop at the target point/Start on ramp way and Park on the side, the others are optional (pick randomly by computer 2 minutes before you take the test), in Shenzhen they usually are Turn at a right-angle (3/8 chance), Single bridges (1/8 chance), Big Pancakes (1/8 chance), , and S shape road (1/4 chance). On route 1, there are 2 necessary items+Turn at a right-angle +Big Pancakes , On rount 2, there are 2 necessary items+ Turn at a right-angle+ Turn at a right-angle+ Single bridges, on route 3, there are 2 necessary items+ Turn at a right-angle, on route 4, there are 2 necessary items+ S shape road. see the following map



The computer told me to go on Route 1, took the car Number 8. The big screen showed that today there were No Big Pancakes on Route 1 and No Turn at a right-angle for today. when I got into the car, I had to buckle up first and made sure it was tight to the right hole by pulling it up , put the handbrake down and shook it so the computer could tell, shook the gear pole to see if the spring down there worked, then adjusted the mirrors. The computer told me to take the following test item, when I run over the sense area, the computer noticed me as well. The computer didn't tell me anything else until I finished these 3 items, finally the computer told me that I passed. I drove back to the initial place and went to get my record card printed and I signed it.

I have more pictures showing you how I learned.

http://picasaweb.google.com/EnChTranslator/HowToLearnDrivingInShenzhen#


Looking forward to Part III

Part III.

I passed the test yesterday. It was easy if you cared everything related to safety. Here is the route.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=shenzhen&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.999937,78.75&ie=UTF8&ll=22.567593,113.960731&spn=0.010541,0.019226&t=h&z=16

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=shenzhen&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.999937,78.75&ie=UTF8&ll=22.563848,113.965902&spn=0.010542,0.019226&z=16

What did I do to pass the test. First of all, I needed to go around the car to make sure it is good, got in the car, the first thing was to buckle up, don't forget it, adjust the seat the mirror. Then examiner asked me if I was ready, "ready!", "go!". I turned on the left-turn indicator, disengaged the clutch and pressed the brake pedal, put on gear 1 meanwhile I look at the mirrors(left and right), released the parking brake, then slowly engaged the clutch, when I heard the sound and felt a little shake, released the brake pedal, the car moved, engaged the clutch completely, stepped on the accelerator pedal, disengaged the clutch, gear 2, stepped on the accelerator, disengaged the clutch, gear 3, then I stopped at a traffic light, started again, then the examiner wanted me to put the gear 4, when I did it, he wanted me to pull over immediately, I turned on the right-turn indicator, looked at the right mirror, then slowed down and moved to side lane, slowed down again, and pulled over to adjust the car possion, make sure it was 30cm away from the side line. At last, I disengaged the clutch, gear neutral, pulled up the handbrake, turned on the caution light. The examiner put "qualified" on the paper, and I signed it.

I am going to get the driving lisence in a couple weeks. (2009-05-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment