Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The languages I speak

My mother tongue is Teochow language which was popularly spoken by most Chinese people during Qin and Han dynasty. It is now spoken only around 20 million people in China and Southeast Asia. It has an overall 50.4% of mutual intelligibility with the Xiamen dialect, 44.3% with Mandarinn and 43.5% with Cantonese.

My second language is Mandarin. I began to speak it when I was 14 years old even though I started to learn how to listen, read and write, when I was very young (3 years old maybe).

It was easy for me to learn my third language, Cantonese, because I was born in Guangdong province where most people speak Cantonese, and Cantonese has so much mutual intelligibility with mandarin and my mother tongue, Teochew language.

My fourth language is English. I began to learn it when I was a very young child too, but I only learned how to read and write before I entered the university. I had a great opportunity to learn English from some native English speakers when I was at the university, there I corrected my tones, grammar and many wrong habits, and my listening skill was much improved because I had this solid basic knowledge about English.

After graduation, I worked as a volunteer for some native English speakers, then I had more opportunities to speak English and people liked to correct my tones and mistakes, besides, I spent a lot of time on watching American TV shows and movies. After that, I took a part-time job as an interpreter for business people from everywhere in the world, then I got used to many different accents. It has been 3 years since I became an En-Ch translator.

Now I am a freelancer and businessman, very open to many jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment